Sunday, March 30

Denver Auto Show

I couldn't believe there were so many people on a Sunday morning poking around new cars. I shouldn't be so surprised. There are as many gearheads as race car fanatics here in the mountains. We've also had quite a few spring-like days in Denver, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is eager for winter to be over (there was snow on the ground this morning).

Sadly, the Denver Auto Show doesn't really attract any concept cars, but several long awaited releases were there. The BMW 1 series was attracting a big crowd. And I was amazed that VW is living up to its claim to release 7 new models about 4 years ago. There weren't 7 new ones there, but the EOS, GLI and Tiguan showed up very well. I realize the photo is of the old and new Rabbit...classics are sometimes hard to beat.

It doesn't take much for my feelers to direct me to performance cars and the Nissan GT-R didn't disappoint. Photographs in the mags don't really tell the story. I also like that the taillights are round instead of the angular ones in earlier photos. Oh, and don't forget the new shape of Subaru's STI...fastbacks are back...en force! Everyone seems to have one!! Are we looking for less drag? To use less gas?

Otherwise, the other big excitement for me was being able to talk to Karl at the RM SCCA booth about the new track being built east of the Denver Airport. After losing Secondcreek, which was pretty much in our backyard, this new track promises some good elevation change, safe run-off and flatout corners-I'm told not for the faint of heart.

When a friend joined me, our focus was on smaller, economy cars. But tell me something. Why aren't these cars getting better MPG? Unless you get a hybrid, you're looking on average of between 24city to 35hwy? Hmmm. I do not own an economy class car and that's what I get. Guess I'll have to look at hydrogen.