Thursday, March 27

Design Within Reach Design the Modern Snowboard Event




Community...
Tonight is the night that my snowboard design will be judged...among designs from the Denver community of graphic designers that were invited to participate! Amy, the proprietor of the Denver DWR location knows a bit about me, so I am honored that my name keeps popping up in her talent pool!

My Mission
Design a 'modern' snowboard for K2 Snowboards, the Snowboard Outreach Society and Design Within Reach Denver to raise awareness and funds for SOS through sales of the winning design produced on a K2 snowboard. The design brief also included three words: Humility, Simplicity and Believer that represented each company.

Research is always my first step. The recent Ride Snowboards design contest featured skulls/skeletons, images of gambling icons, cyan/yellow/magenta colors, and street art. When I asked people from Colorado which designs were the most appealing, I was surprised. The feedback I got was muted colors, simple design, fluorescent is okay on the bottom. Hmmm.

I have to say that I am driven by what resonates. Not always an easy thing to do, evidenced by showing some of my early attempts to people I know are deep in snowboarding love and knowledge. One design looked 'too spiritual' and the other design was a cool idea, but too simple. The current design has faired much better!! The background graphic uses K2's snowboarding logo with subtle use of SOS's snowflake logo. On top of that, topography lines depict mountain terrain and words of aspiration (not inspiration) replace altitude. The words: Humility, simplicity, believer, courage, wisdom, discipline, carefree, grace and truth.

So, onto the show!!